Fellow CFOers –
Lydia started some interest in holding a seminar-style class geared towards self-protection for women. I’d love the opportunity to share some of the knowledge I’ve gained through all my years of training with my friends at CFO.
Rather than limit the class to women, however, I thought I’d see if there was interest in opening up this class to both men and women. Contrary to other women’s “self defense” classes, I would show women the exact same material that I would show men. In fact, over the last month I have been involved with two separate training contracts that we ran for a federal law enforcement agency and a special operations group in the military (through Sayoc Tactical Group). Both of these contracts had women in attendance and we taught them the same material as the men, with a high level of success.
The original interest for this class came about from the thought of self protection. But many of us have families. Wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, children, etc. Self protection is incomplete without the rest of your family in the equation. While this is certainly not an exclusively “couples” training seminar, I think it would be a great opportunity for any interested couples to come in and train together. When protecting your family it is of the utmost importance to be on the same page regarding readiness. The lecture portion (the first 30 minutes) of this course, alone, will help lay the foundation for building a system of readiness to protect yourself and your family.
When: October 23, 11am – 1pm
Cost: $125/person, $200/couple
Teaching: John Perrings (Associate Instructor, Sayoc Kali) and Ricardo Kayanan (Master Rank instructor, Sayoc Kali)
- Self defense myths
- The myth of “self defense”
- Stun guns
- Pepper spray
- Readiness – “Are you ready?” when people are asked this question, often the response is something like “Absolutely,” or “I was born ready!” These responses usually only mean that the person is about to do …something.But what does it mean to really be ready to protect yourself? Do you know how to fight? Do even know you’re about to find yourself in a fight? Are you willing to do what is necessary to protect yourself or your loved one(s)? We’ll go into this in a good amount of detail.
- The human reflex loop and why you MUST understand how this works.
- De-escalation Mindset – How this ties in to the reflex loop and its importance in protecting yourself.
- Reactionary Gap
- Improvised weapons to even the odds
- Striking templates / drills
- Mass attack exercises
- Family dynamics
- Scenario discussion / training